Monday, July 27, 2009

My chicks are growing!

A few days ago I moved our 12 Rhode Island Red bantam chicks to the main chicken house. They are almost three months old now and I think I can tell which ones are going to be the roosters. They seem to be assimilating well. These 12 are a group we let one of the hens sit on and hatch. After they hatched I let her keep a couple of them and took the rest up to the barn to grow in a safer place. We decided this time instead of letting the hen raise them, that we wanted to do it so we could handle them a lot. We have spent the last three months holding them and letting them get used to my 4 year old daughter. The extra effort has really paid off because now most of them are very calm and don't mind us at all. The hope is that when this group starts laying eggs we won't risk getting pecked so much while collecting the eggs. If things really work out then the plan is to let the egg collecting go to my daughter every day. She will love it...even though she is still a little scared of the rooster!! If I can remember to take my camera with me when I leave the house I will try to take some pictures to post next time.

No comments: