Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Horse Has White Line Disease


My farrier told me at the last couple of visits that my horse has a mild case of White Line Disease (aka Fungal Onyochomycosis or Seedy Toe). By definition Equine White Line Disease is a fungal infection in the stratum medium. The infection sort of eats up the tissue. It can advance to the point where the hoof wall can no longer hold a shoe and the wall breaks down.
Since it was just a tiny little crack, my horse is barefoot and not getting ridden very often I had hoped after the first time she told me that it would sort of clear up on its own...but unfortunately it did not. Therefore, now I have started daily treatment. Everyday I clean out the infected hoof with a shoe nail (gladly provided by the farrier). Then I apply a topical gel prescribed specifically for White Line Disease. The intention is that if the anaerobic infection is cleaned out everyday then it will not have a habitat in which to thrive. Lets hope that my delay in treatment has not cost my horse his hoof!

No comments: